[TN-Bird] Goosapalooza. Bedford Co. 11/27

  • From: Dan Snell <dan_snell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2015 05:42:14 +0000

11/27/15
Bedford County: directly SW of Shelbyville.
in south Shelbyville- from the US231/TN10 and TN64 intersection- take TN State
Route 64 West approximately 2 miles to Naron Rd. Turn left (south) and proceed
approximately 1/2 mile to large lake on the right (west) side
Naron Road: Joe Tillet Lake (private- but can view from road).
N35.452726, W-086.490976 pulloff coordinates
DeLorme Tennessee Atlas & Gazateer (2014 Edition) page 55, E-8

Hi all,

A quick note about a good assembly of geese at a south-central TN location.
This afternoon I found the following geese:

62 Canada
4 Snow
3 Ross'
1 Greater-White Fronted

There are other "wild" waterfowl here as well.

As well as "domesticated"- but don't be fooled by the white domestic geese, or
the THREE BLACK , ONE MUTE, and ONE TRUMPETER SWAN (all domestic- but cool to
see). I believe these birds have "baited" other waterfowl into stopping- which
being this area seems to be quite a safe-haven.
Although this is a private lake, the traffic volume is low enough that you can
stay on the road without much hassle. The property owners have taken a great
deal of pride in landscaping near the road's shoulder. So i just recommend
staying on the road. I believe this is the best accessible lake in Bedford
County that could produce some scoters, long-tailed ducks, goldeneyes in the
near future.

Good Birding!

Dan Snell
Lynchburg, TN