[TN-Bird] Golden-Plovers and Uplands - TN - AR

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, ARBIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 08:21:15 EDT

April 11, 2010
Shelby Co. TN
Crittenden Co. AR

After finding 19 Uplands Saturday in north MS, I decided to run some other
areas in TN and AR on Sunday. I really think the best days were midweek
after  the storm pushed through but you have to search when you can.
At Eagle Lake, I had a single Upland and what turned out to be the only
Upland of the day. Off Herring Hill Rd, I had two flocks of Golden-Plovers
with  a total of 94 birds.

Across the bridge in AR it was a different story with the plovers. I found
plovers in 6 locations, first in a cotton stubble field on the north end of
 McNeely Rd, this is across the road from one of the fields I regularly
find them  but due to field conditions they were now using this huge field and
were almost  hidden in the stubble. Here I counted 340 birds moving like
ghosts in camo. Off  of Wollard Rd, my next run produced and 250 birds in the
air and 238 on the  ground. From the access road to the east, another 134
birds.

From Wollard Rd, to Benwood Lake on the south side of Highway 50 another
530 birds and off Bob White Rd, 488 birds on the ground at three stops and
another 200+ in two flights. Off of 42 near Big Creek there were widely
scattered birds as far as you could see on a freshly roll rice field with about

180 birds in view but I'm sure many remained hidden. Off Highway 77 near
the south end of Wapanocca NWR, in the experimental station fields, their
plowing and a crop duster got up the 2 largest in air flocks for the day, 350+
 and 400+. I would have not seen these birds way out in these fields
without the  mechanical help, I can't imagine how many birds I just drive past.

No Uplands that I could find in the mix, but the Golden-Plovers, although
not concentrated as the weeks before, and probably just tired stragglers
left over from the storm push, still numbered over 3,000 fine Wind Birds on
the day!

Good Birding  !!!
Jeff R. Wilson / TLBA
6300 Memphis-Arlington Road
Bartlett, TN  38135
http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/
What is this feathered thing that  lifts my heart to the heavens.

               Assistant Moderator Chris O'Bryan
                        Clarksville, TN

                       MAP RESOURCES