[TN-Bird] Re: Golden Eagle camera trapping effort, winter 2011-12

  • From: Bill Pulliam <littlezz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 12:05:56 -0500

On Apr 18, 2012, at 11:34 AM, Scott Somershoe wrote:
These birds are using heavily wooded areas and sitting along the edge of small clearings for significant amounts of time (like what Rob Biller and others have found at Hampton Creek Cove), hence the majority of birds are probably going undetected.

Interesting to note that in my 10 years in Lewis County, I have seen 5 eagles fly over our place. Three were Bald, two were Golden, a surprisingly even ratio (and a very small sample size). Our place is an archetypal clearing within a heavily wooded landscape. Scattered Golden Eagles turn up across the western Highland Rim, in addition to the notable hotspots on Tennessee NWR, both the Big Sandy and Duck River units. There are validated eBird records for Lewis, Hickman, Humphreys, Stewart, Robertson, Henry, Benton, Decatur, and Hardin Counties. Interestingly there are no other eBird records for west TN away from the far NW corner (Obion, Lake, and Dyer Counties), and none for the rest of middle TN. The western Highland Rim, both along and away from the Tennessee River, seems to be something of a "core" wintering area for this species. And much of this area is also pretty thinly birded.

Bill Pulliam
Hohenwald TN