[TN-Bird] Gibson County Lake on Thursday

  • From: Mark Greene <greenesnake@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 07:03:34 -0800 (PST)

Thursday, January 30, 2014
Gibson County Lake (east of Trenton),
Gibson County

I made a quick swing by Gibson County Lake yesterday afternoon to
see if there was any open water left and to my surprise there were 2 small
areas of water that were unfrozen and both were packed with ducks! It was
difficult to count everything when I first got there because near one of the
holes in the ice there were hundreds of ducks sleeping on the ice. Then one of
the local Bald Eagles made a cruise across the top of the ice and Katy bar the
door - dabblers were flying in every direction, divers were diving, and there
was just general chaos for several seconds until the eagle landed out on the
ice nearby! Makes you wonder if every once in a while if the eagles just do
that for fun like "watch this"! After the eagle had landed, it made
the counting of ducks much easier! :)

tallied the following:

Canada
Goose - 350 (all on the bank on the boat ramp side of the lake)
Gadwall
- 325
American
Wigeon - 12
Am.
Black Duck - 2
Mallard
- 600
Northern
Shoveler - 2
Northern
Pintail - 6
Green-winged
Teal - 10
Canvasback - 20
Redhead
- 75 (the most I've ever seen on this lake)
Ring-necked
Duck - 31
Common
Goldeneye - 6