[TN-Bird] Gibson County Lake

  • From: Mark Greene <greenesnake@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 13:41:13 -0800 (PST)

February 11, 2014
Gibson County Lake
East of Trenton, Gibson County

One year ago today the Ol' Coot, Jeff Wilson passed away and things haven't
been the same since. But life goes on and I was feeling nostalgic today and
what would Jeff have wanted me to do? Go birding of course! So, I heeded the
call and went out to Gibson County Lake.

There were not a lot of birds out in the main open lake as most of the birds
were tucked away in the many hidden coves that this lake so it took quite a bit
of moving around to see all the birds today. It was rewarded though with some
good birds.

Here's a quick rundown with a few notes:

Gr. White-fronted Goose - 3
Canada Goose - 500
Gadwall - 60
Mallard - 300
Green-winged Teal - 45
Ring-necked Duck - 12
White-winged Scoter - 1, saw the bird flying out of the south cove when I was
scoping from Martin Alexander Road.
Bufflehead - 1, male
Common Goldeneye - 1, female
Hooded Merganser - 23
Common Merganser - 11, 7 males and 4 females, seen in the south cove when I was
scoping from the TWRA boat ramp parking lot off County Lake Road. I then drove
around and scoped from Martin Alexander Rd and got a better view.
Red-breasted Merganser - 1, female
Ruddy Duck - 25
Common Loon - 2
Pied-billed Grebe - 5