[TN-Bird] Gallaher Bend/Clark Center Park

  • From: "Carole Gobert" <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 16:14:08 -0500

Birded Clark Center Park and about a mile of the Gallaher Bend Greenbelt
after it enters the woods(Anderson County, Tennessee) beginning at 11 a.m.
this morning and ending around 2 p.m.  The first bird I saw as I was getting
out of my car in the parking lot was an osprey soaring overhead.  There  was
an Eastern Phoebe flying to a nest on top of a rain spout under the roof of
the park office.  When I returned to my car around 2 p.m. I again saw the
flying osprey.  As it flew out of sight in one direction, I spotted a second
osprey in the top of a small tree on the other side of the tennis court.

As I was leaving, driving, about a tenth of a mile before the park entrance
on Scarboro Road, in the water was a raft of 22 double crested cormorants
floating beside a raft of 75 ring billed gulls (with more gulls flying in
the distance)

Here's my list (I've undoubtedly undercounted)

osprey - 2
Canada Geese - 11 (one of the Canadas had a noticeably shorter neck than its
companion but otherwise looked identical)
Double crested cormorant - 22
Ring billed gulls - 90
Belted Kingfisher - 2
Killdeer - 2