[TN-Bird] Fwd: [wisb] Will we "run out of gas"?

  • From: JimSueFerg@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 17:51:10 EDT

--- Begin Message ---
  • From: Mike McDowell <mmcdowell@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisconsin Birding Network" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 16:04:29 -0500
Will we "run out of gas"?

Dear Friend of Operation Migration and the Whooping Crane,

Every season since 2001 Operation Migration and its partners have achieved a
wildlife miracle. Using our ultralight aircraft, we have taught a migration
route to four generations of one of North America's rarest birds. Thanks to
this small team, 42 wild Whooping cranes now migrate between Wisconsin and
Florida. This fall's successful completion of a fifth migration will mean that
we are half way to our goal of removing this incredible bird from the
endangered species list. This year however, Operation Migration is facing its
biggest challenge ever.

The great news is that we have twenty bright-eyed whooping crane chicks this
year, and like energetic teenagers they are ready and anxious to fly south. We
have dedicated pilots and an enthusiastic ground support team. The problem is
our funds - - or should we say, the lack of funding.

When these birds hatched we had no idea what the events of 2005 would bring;
the shortfall in grants; the doubling of fuel costs. Nor did we have any idea
that our donation receipts "Nor did we have any idea that our donation receipts
would not be able to compensate for these unexpected events.

Because this project has been such an amazing success, we thought that in
addition to our long-time supporters, many new donors would rush to help. But
with weather and other events elevating the need for support of many
humanitarian causes, it is understandable that aid to an endangered species may
have been downgraded on many people's giving list - or even left off entirely.
As a result, we find ourselves with the smallest ever amount of funding to cope
with the biggest and most costly year of the project to date.

At this point, with so many birds, higher expenses, and soaring fuel costs, we
can only get the birds as far south as Kentucky/Tennessee before we run out of
gas.....both literally and figuratively. For this reason we're writing to
solicit your financial assistance.

The entire OM team is totally committed to the Whooping crane project and the
2005 Migration. Many of us are not only volunteering our equipment and
expertise, we are also now donating our time in order to stave off grinding to
a halt before reaching Florida.

Getting the 2005 cohort safely to Florida means the flock will be increased by
a third! Whether from a foundation, corporation or individual, your
contribution - small or large - is crucial to making this happen.

PLEASE be as generous as you can, and be assured your donation will help save a
species.

Sincerely yours,

Bill Lishman (Chair)
Joe Duff (CEO)

P.S. It would be great if you could help us 'spread the word' by passing this
message along to the contacts in your personal email address book.

* * *

Mike McDowell
Waunakee - Dane County
www.birddigiscoping.com