[TN-Bird] Re: [Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Fish Crow in Roane County?]]

  • From: Raincrow <raincrow@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: John Devereux Joslin <jdjoslin@xxxxxxxxx>,TNbird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 16:43:31 -0400

I haven't been completely skeptical because (a) the ones I have heard repeatedly
said "unh-anh" and nothing else, (b) I used to hear FCs all the time that I
lived
along the Pot-o-muck River in N. Virginia so I am pretty familiar with
"unh-anh,",
(c) we have the very occasional pelican along these stretches of the Tennessee &
Clinch (and am I seeing things or are our number of DB cormorants also
increasing
rapidly?), so accidentals such a fish crow in this same area wouldn't be
entirely
out of the question; and (d) back in the good ol' days of Valley Bird Net, I was
also on the VA and WV Audubon listservers, and some of their quite experienced
birders found FCs along the New and other large rivers infrequently but
repeatedly.

A pleasant mystery. (And a pleasant, if humorous-sounding, call. If my memory
serves me from a field trip in the late 90s, Jeff Wilson called them "Virgin
Birds" because they're always [petulantly] saying no.)

Liz Singley
Kingston TN