[TN-Bird] Re: Fwd: Re: Cranes and TWRA Chairperson Mike Chase

  • From: luvsbirdn <luvsbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amjwoody@xxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 14:20:33 -0700 (PDT)

I think Alice Woody may be confusing two separate issues: 1) the proposed
sandhill crane hunt in Tennessee and 2) the proposed â??right to hunt and
fishâ?? constitutional amendment.  The email string to which she replied, as I
understand it, regards the crane hunt (#1) and even the subject line of these
messages refers to Mr. Chase â?? with most emails urging people to express
their opinion regarding the crane hunt to him.  There is little need to
contact him regarding the ballot initiative (#2) â?? you can express your
opinion on that by voting.

The point of my previous email (subject line: â??Right to Hunt & Fish (and
Bird?) Initiativeâ??) was to implore people to educate themselves and to vote,
and to recognize that many who claim to be â??neutralâ?? on this issue are
aware that such a â??positionâ?? actually equates to a â??noâ?? vote at the
ballot box..

TOS is not alone in their â??neutralâ?? position.  The Governor, and in fact,
the TWRA itself have stated â??neutralâ?? positions.  Does anyone actually
believe the TWRA is opposed to onesâ?? right to hunt & fish?  I didnâ??t think
so.  My guess is, and as Elizabeth Queener alluded to in her 10/26 email, if
the initiative passes much of the â??burden of proofâ?? will shift to the
Agency, and as it stands right now they â??hold the upperhandâ?? (to
paraphrase).  Who doesnâ??t want to have the â??upperhandâ???

Part of the TWRAâ??s mission statement, as Melinda Welton pointed out, is â??to
preserve, conserve, protect and enhance the fish and wildlife of the
stateâ?¦â??  Does it not stand to reason that the â??burden of proofâ?? should
befall the very Agency whose job it is to protect our fish and wildlife?
Right now, all the complaining in the world is not likely to stop a crane hunt,
but if the ballot initiative passes there is likely to be a greater burden on
TWRA to justify their positions.  If you think the harvest of a couple hundred
(or thousand?) cranes a year isnâ??t justifiable, then you might want to
educate yourself on this ballot initiative.  The TWRA isnâ??t â??neutralâ?? on
this because they oppose hunting & fishing â?? itâ??s likely because they
donâ??t want to have to justify everything they do - bag limits, length limits,
seasons, etc.  Who can blame them?

I have complained to TWRA, in writing, regarding what I believe to be an
extremely liberal season on bobcats in Tennessee.  I basically suggested a
reduction in season or bag limit, or some type of tagging requirement as is
done for big game.  No changes were implemented and to my knowledge, there
have been no significant changes to Tennesseeâ??s bobcat regulations for
decades.  Bureaucracies donâ??t like change.  I happen to think 90 bobcats
per year per hunter is unjustifiable.  Right now it doesnâ??t matter what I
think though â?? and I doubt it matters what you think about a sandhill crane
hunt â?? they can largely do as they please â?? now, and in the future, if this
ballot initiative failsâ?¦with all due respect (and in all seriousness) to the
fine folk of TWRA.

Like the TOS, many birders probably have a â??neutralâ?? position on the
â??right to hunt and fishâ??.  I doubt many of them realize, however, that
this aligns them with the very Agency poised to implement a sandhill crane hunt
in Tennessee.  To use a term from Ms. Woodyâ??s email, â??tit for tatâ?? no
longer is quite so â??cut and driedâ??.

Kelly Roy
Knoxville TN