[TN-Bird] Fwd: Normandy Lake Dam Directions Mon

  • From: roymel@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 13:11:11 -0600

-------- Original Message --------

                SUBJECT:
                Normandy Lake Dam

                DATE:
                2014-02-10 18:25

                FROM:
                roymel@xxxxxxxxx

                TO:
                tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

                CC:
                Ruth <luck@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

 This was sent Monday but was not posted...just in case directions are
needed...
Fellow Birders,

WHITE PELICANS!!

Today my friends Bob & Amy thought they had a flock of American White
Pelicans (_Pelicanus erythorhynchos_) ...called us but we were not home
yet. They followed up their call with an affirmative on their sighting
and reported the estimated flock of about 50 (they lacked a scope of any
kind) mixed in a flock of gulls on the water.

The flock had settled onto the shore (north direction) by the time I
arrived (with minimal light available by then) with scope in hand...and
sure enough, I guestimate the flock to be 75+ or more...maybe even a
100. The darkness was soon falling as the gulls flew in the distance
noisily.

I feel like with the weather south predicted snowy, these hopefully will
remain tomorrow for a better view after work. I was unable to search for
the white-winged scoter as light was quickly fading. Perhaps I will
become lucky.

The wind was brisk and temperature was approximately 32 degrees as they
lifted their black-lined wings, preening their last with the
disappearing light maybe...

Anyhow, we had seen these further south MLK Day and having these in my
own area is quite exciting.

Directions for newcomers: Go to the Normandy Dam and look north (at the
time of the writing!!)...these handsome chorus line of feathers will
hopefully reward any admirers! This area of the lake most likely is on
Coffee/ Bedford Co line.

Melissa Turrentine
Bedford Co Normandy TN

Sighting: White Pelicans Normady Dam area of Lake on Coffee/Bedford
County line