[TN-Bird] Frozen Head State Park migrants

  • From: "Scott Somershoe" <Scott.Somershoe@xxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 16:04:42 -0500

My wife and I camped and hiked at Frozen Head State Park this weekend.
Beautiful weather for camping, birding, and checking out wildflowers, and many
migrants are back, but a few were missed (just a tad early).  There are only a
handful of birds at the higher elevations so far.  Probably just a week early
for the mass of Cerulean Warblers at the higher locations.

We ended up with 13 species of warbler, incl. 2 not on the list below (which
were only at the campground and headquarters area, i.e. Northern Parula and
Common Yellowthroat).  The only Wood Thrush of the weekend was the one in the
campground that woke me up both mornings.  Certainly NOT an issue to be woken
up Wood Thrush, Ovenbirds, and Black-throated Green Warblers.

One big surprise late Friday afternoon was 2 Common Ravens that flew over Big
Cove Campground and called.  Michael Hodge said he'd only had them at Frozen
Head on 3 occasions.

*Below is a combined eBird checklist to give the totals by species for
Saturday's hiking (~7.0 miles).  Mind-numbing numbers of black-throated green
warblers.  I know I missed many as we didn't stop to listen often, especially
on the way back down, and I probably just didn't notice a lot of females
chipping (and they were chipping a lot, distinct chip, for a chip anyway).
Between the black-throated green warblers from the hike (81) and others in the
campground and other locations on just Saturday, we had about 95 individuals.
Easily over 100 for the weekend from different locations that we visited.

Location:     Frozen Head State Natural Area
Observation date:     4/17/10
Notes:     Hiked South Old Mac Trail to the Firetower (3.3 miles) and Chimney
Top trail to Spicewood Trail (~3.7 miles for the counting).

Turkey Vulture     2
Broad-winged Hawk     2
Downy Woodpecker     1
Northern Flicker     1
Pileated Woodpecker     6
Yellow-throated Vireo     3
Blue-headed Vireo     46
Red-eyed Vireo     1
Blue Jay     3
American Crow     2
Carolina Chickadee     2
Tufted Titmouse     7
White-breasted Nuthatch     2
Carolina Wren     2
Winter Wren     1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher     1
Eastern Bluebird     1
Yellow-rumped Warbler     1  (flyby at the Firetower)
Black-throated Green Warbler     81
Blackburnian Warbler     2
Yellow-throated Warbler     1
Cerulean Warbler     5