[TN-Bird] Frozen Head: Ceruleans, Blackburnians

  • From: Melinda Welton <weltonmj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tnbird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2012 15:16:51 -0500

Dear all
I reported the 6 Ceruleans I found at Frozen Head in my last posting. Here
is my complete list that in addition includes 2 Blackburnian Warblers & 103
Black-throated Green Warblers - they were everywhere!

Melinda Welton
Franklin, TN

Frozen Head State Natural Area, Morgan, US-TN
Apr 5, 2012 7:30 AM - 12:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling, 4.0 mile(s)
Comments:     North Old Mac Trail and 1,000 meters of Chimney Top Trail.
Clear, calm, high 60s, sky 1-2. No mixed species foraging flocks.
Melinda Welton.
32 species

Double-crested Cormorant  300     "V" flew low over park at 6:45am
Turkey Vulture  1
Barred Owl  2
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1
Downy Woodpecker  1
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Pileated Woodpecker  5
Eastern Phoebe  3
Blue-headed Vireo  21     Singing at all elevations
Blue Jay  6
American Crow  1
Carolina Chickadee  6
Tufted Titmouse  8
White-breasted Nuthatch  7
Carolina Wren  10
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  1
Brown Thrasher  1
Ovenbird  12     Heard throughout
Worm-eating Warbler  4     Only lower elevations
Louisiana Waterthrush  1
Black-and-white Warbler  20     All elevations
Hooded Warbler  1
American Redstart  4     Mid-elevations
Cerulean Warbler  6     All from 2,300 ft to 3,000 feet elevation.
Northern Parula  1
Blackburnian Warbler  2     Both near one another at 3,000 ft, both singing
their song that does not end in the thin high note.
Yellow-throated Warbler  2
Black-throated Green Warbler  104     This is likely an under-count.
Chipping Sparrow  1
Scarlet Tanager  2     Lower elevations
Brown-headed Cowbird  3
American Goldfinch  2