[TN-Bird] Fox Camp Spring & Black Fox Wetland - birds & info

  • From: Daniel Estabrooks <hyla514@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-Bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <TN-Bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 11:56:32 -0700 (PDT)

Black Fox Wetland
Rutherford County
10/3/11

I noticed an eBird hotspot SE of Murfreesboro labeled as "Nickajack Trace &
Black Fox Wetlands". After much fruitless time spent searching the internet for
any information about the place, I eventually dug up the Rutherford County
property information website and discovered that the woodland around Fox Camp
Spring (on the north side of Red Mile Rd.) is owned by the city of Murfreesboro
and Black Fox Wetland itself (on the south side of the road) is owned by the
state.

So anyway, I parked along the side of the road and wandered around. There are a
couple signs (one on each side of the road) giving a little information abuot
the place, but there are no facilities other than a few random little trails
that don't really go anywhere. In any case, the birding wasn't that great (and
definitely not good enough to justify putting up with the ubiquitous hordes of
mosquitoes).

The highlight of the trip was when an Accipiter appeared out of nowhere and
blew up a flock of foraging robins before diving into the shrubbery. I never
did see it again, despite about 10 minutes of searching. If I had to pick one,
I'd say Sharp-shinned just because it was pretty small, but it all happened way
too fast for me to see anything diagnostic.

My eBird report for it is attached.

Daniel