[TN-Bird] Foothills Parkway - 489 Broad-wings - 9/27

  • From: "Shane H. Williams" <shanehwilliams@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Tennessee Bird List" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 19:48:33 -0400

     I went back up to the observation tower at Look Rock, Foothills Parkway
(Blount Co.) today hoping for warblers and maybe a few hawks. After a quiet
start near the entrance I arrived at the tower at 11 am. I raised my binos to
scan the partly cloudy skies to the west and found 5 Broad-wings relatively
high. Turned around to the east and found more kettling in the distance. From
then until around 1 pm with clearing skies the hawks were pretty regular with
only short breaks between groups. The earlier hawks were passing on the south
side of the ridge--later mostly on the north side. Some were a few hundred feet
above the tower, some eye-level, some below then popping up in the gap west of
the tower. Winds were to the northeast parallel to the ridge. A cloud-front
moved over around 1:00 from the southwest bringing more wind and less hawks
from here out. The hawks that did come through were really fighting it.
     Just after 1:00 a Perigrine Falcon flew by at eye-level less than 100 ft
away. Two Red-headed Woodpeckers flew by at 1:38 and 2:15. Three Sharp-shins
were seen as well as 3 Hornets (F-18 fighter jets) together making a terrible
racket.
      Around 2:30 with no activity for awhile I decided to leave just short of
my 500 Broad-winged goal, walked to the bottom of the tower, then turned around
and went back up for one last scan. As I got to the top a 2nd Peregrine was
soaring maybe 20 ft right above the tower. It moved out a little and flew
stationary into the wind for a minute then flew off, unlike the other, to the
southeast towards Cade's Cove. This was one of those days to remember and quite
a surprise. It was funny to see 2 visitors to the tower continuing their
conversation while ignoring a large kettle of Broad-wings a hundred yards away
as if this is something one sees daily.
     On a side note, you can see a long swath of downed  trees to the south on
the other side of Happy Valley from one of the April tornados--it's impressive.

closed road near Pkwy entrance (9:30 - 10:20):

Magnolia warbler - 2
Tennessee warbler - 2
Scarlet Tanager - 2
Swainson's Thrush - 5+