[TN-Bird] Flood Birds - Northwest TN

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 22:37:43 -0400 (EDT)

May 11, 2011
Dyer/Lake Co. TN

When you drop off the ridge on I-155 going west from Dyersberg  there is
water on both sides of the road for 7 miles to the Mississippi. Going  north
on The Great River Road (it is closed going south) you are never out of
sight of the rushing Big Muddy to the west or back water as far as you can see
to the east. But none the less birds were to be found and enjoyed.

After starting north on the Great River Road, at the south  gate to White
Lake Refuge, a mixed group of Great Blues, Great Egrets, Snowy and  Little
Blues yield the first good bird, an adult TRI-COLORED HERON. Farther  north
near Hwy 103, I came across my first of season, LEAST TERN which  turned out
to be the only tern or gull seen all day.

In Lake Co, shorebirds, as usual appeared in fields where you  normally
find them in normal years even though the habitat had more water than  other
places in which ( to me) the habitat looked better. TWENTY ONE  species of
Wind Birds found as I worked my way to Reelfoot Lake. The best birds  were 103
full dress RED-BACKED SANDPIPERS, standing along one raised area off of
Robinson Bayou Road along with BAIRD'S, White-rumped, Short and Long-b
Dowitchers, Semipalmated, Golden and Black-bellied Plovers etc,  etc...........

The target bird, WHITE-FACED IBIS was located near the  northeast corner of
the Phillippy Unit of Black Bayou Refuge. Evidently the same  bird Glen
found earlier at Black Bayou behind the pump house. I counted more  Snowy
Egrets today than I've seen over the last 2 years. Lots of scattered  Mallards,
Blue-winged Teal, Shovelers, Woodies, and Hooded Mergs plus 3 Ruddy  Ducks at
Mud Lake.

On the way back home, at the south end of the closed Tenn-Mo  Levee, 8
species of warblers with numerous Bay-breasted and Black-poll,  Yellow-throated
Vireo, plus Olive-sided and Least Flycatchers. Two  Grasshopper Sparrows in
scruffy marginal habitat near Owl Hoot. Two small  flights of Cedar Waxwings
were unexpected and Shrikes noted in 9 locations  at traditional nesting
sites.

Nancy Moore's B/B at Reelfoot was spared as the water stopped  just short
of the stoop. Something to be said for living right ;o)

Good  Birding!!
Jeff R. Wilson / TLBA
6300 Memphis-Arlington  Road
Bartlett, TN  38135
http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/
What is  this feathered thing that  lifts my heart to the  heavens.

               Assistant Moderator Chris O'Bryan
                        Clarksville, TN

                       MAP RESOURCES