[TN-Bird] FW: cowbird parents?

  • From: "Charles P. Nicholson" <cpnichol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-Bird Listserve" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 20:25:34 -0400

Frank et al.,
There is a complete listing (based on information available at the time)
of observed cowbird hosts in Tennessee in the Tennessee Breeding Bird
Atlas, as well as discussions of the frequency of parasitism in the
individual species accounts of host species.  Cardinals, Song Sparrows,
and Chipping Sparrows are all fairly common to common hosts.  Host
species I've observed this year include Cardinal, Song Sparrow, Chipping
Sparrow, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (a large cowbird nestling in a
gnatcatcher nest is quite a sight!), Red-eyed Vireo, Ovenbird, Hooded
Warbler, and Scarlet Tanager.

Chuck Nicholson
Norris, TN