[TN-Bird] FW: Unfunded mandate

  • From: Melinda Welton <weltonmj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tnbird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 13:56:54 -0500

Dear all,
I'm afraid that what is behind the conflict over the hunt plan for Sandhill
Cranes, is because TWRA has, in effect, been given an unfunded mandate.

This is the TWRA mission statement:
The mission of the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency is to preserve,
conserve, protect, and enhance the fish and wildlife of the state and their
habitats for the use, benefit, and enjoyment of the citizens of Tennessee
and its visitors. The Agency will foster the safe use of the state¹s waters
through a program of law enforcement, education, and access.

The mission statement doesn't even mention hunting, yet only the hunters and
fishers have been given an effective mechanism to contribute money to the
agency.

No one would think of asking State Parks to manage all of the parkland in TN
without funding, but it's OK to ask TWRA to take care of all of the
wildlife.

While I hope the agency agrees with TOS' recommendation to develop crane
viewing over hunting, and regardless of how the vote comes out on the crane
hunt, we need to be ready to advocate for broad-based funding for TWRA, so
that it can be the Wildlife Agency that we need in Tennessee.

Melinda Welton
Franklin, TN

P.S. I did not intend for my personal view to be forwarded to tnbirds - I
agree with Mr. Estabrooks that it was inappropriate.

               Assistant Moderator Chris O'Bryan
                        Clarksville, TN

                       MAP RESOURCES