[TN-Bird] Re: FW: RE: Hooded Crane in TN

  • From: Bill Pulliam <littlezz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird Listserv <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 19:08:18 -0600

This is going to be an interesting bird for the TN-BRC, especially considering that it is a potential first North American record (and no matter which way we vote there will be a chorus of people objecting to our decision!). So if we vote to accept it, it then goes right to the ABA Checklist Committee. I think it is safe to say that we will want a lot of background and supporting information on the numbers and whereabouts of captives, if there is any black market/ unbanded/unregulated trade, are their any other vagrant records in the Old World other than the few I found already (Kazakhstan, India), etc. Anyone who has actual firm information about these things or anything else that could pertain to this bird's wildness would be very appreciated!

I also think it is safe to say that this process is likely to take some time.

As I have said before, I personally have to agree that the burden is on demonstrating wildness beyond a reasonable doubt, not vice versa. But I don't think that is necessarily an impossible task.

Bill Pulliam
Hohenwald TN

On Dec 18, 2011, at 6:34 PM, Richard Knight wrote:

The following was posted to the Carolinabirds listserv concerning the
Hooded Crane at Hiwassee.  I think the position is well stated.

Rick Knight
Johnson City, TN