[TN-Bird] FW: Homemade suet on logs

  • From: "Raincrow" <raincrow@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 17:06:37 -0800

My old Knoxville house had 2 large maples about 15 feet from the front windows.
We used to trowel our Birdy Butter right onto the tree bark at chest height,
which kept them off the ground so they were less of a target for enterprising
kitties. The only down side was that it left permanent greasy stains on the
tree bark.
I'm battling very aggressive raccoons at my Kingston house so to keep them from
feeding near the house, I don't use the tree method. I now hang a homemade
feeder (14" length of roughed up 2x4 with numerous 1" diam x 1/2" deep holes to
hold the birdy butter) off a shepherd's hook. I'm using a variant of Martha
Sargent's PB/lard/flour/cornmeal/oatmeal/sugar suet mix and am doing
land-office business, plus I can bring the feeder in at night to discourage the
coons (who stand up, growl, bark, and feint as if they intend to advance on me
when I ask them to leave the porch; unacceptable!).

Happy birddays to you.

Liz Singley
Kington, TN