[TN-Bird] FW: Black Swift near GSMNP NC

  • From: "Richard Knight" <rknight8@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 16:54:07 -0400

FYI

Rick Knight
Johnson City, TN

----- Original Message -----
From: Derb Carter
To: carolinabirds@xxxxxxxx
Sent: 9/19/2011 2:53:25 PM
Subject: Black Swift near GSMNP NC

At 11:15 this morning I had a Black Swift circling Hemphill Bald 5500 feet
along the eastern border of Great Smoky Mountains NP. It was alone. I also saw
a couple of small groups of Chimney Swifts before and after. I had it in sight
about two minutes fairly close overhead before it moved on to the south.

I immediately identified it as a large swift. I have seen Black in the west and
several other large swift sp in South America. It was entire dark blackish.
Pointed wings distinctly curved on front edge and broad at base.  Tail longer
and broader than Chimney.  Slightly fanned and  squared at tip.

Larger than Chimney with broader wings at base. Flight entirely different than
flutter and glide of Chimney. Slower stronger wingbeats followed by angled
glides.

I stayed around the bald for another hour but it did not reappear. I have heard
of sightings and perhaps photos of Black Swift in the norteast following Irene
with speculation on a Carribean population I do not know much about.

I will be here two more days and will watch for it.

Derb Carter
Cataloochee Ranch
And Chapel Hill

Sent via DROID on Verizon Wireless