[TN-Bird] Excitement / adult Cooper's

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 09:37:24 EST

Happy frigid morning,

Early this morning, I heard a thump against my kitchen window here in
Charlotte Park, West Nashville, Davidson County, a few blocks east of the
Cumberland River and across from Bell's Bend.  I looked through the French
doors
between the dining room and the deck to see one of the adult Cooper's  hawks
fly
into the tree right behind the deck and perch on a low branch.   After a few
seconds, it flew to the neighbor's fence that borders my property  only about
25
feet from the corner of my deck.  It spent a few seconds  there, then turned
around to face the deck before it flew into a tree out back  where it was
somewhat hidden from the deck by a cedar tree.  I have been  warily awaiting a
"Coop swoop" since then..........until just now!  It just  flew,with tail
spread,
after something which was out of sight at the south  side of my house.  There
is gray feather residue on the kitchen window, but  obviously the bird
survived the blow.  The hawk didn't have anything, and  no bird is on the deck
under
the window.  From the sound of the thump, I  think it was a mourning dove, and
the feather residue looks as if it came from a  mourning dove's head area.

Late yesterday, I returned home to find a great horned owl perched in  one of
my pine trees, up very close to the tree trunk as long-eared owls  are said
to do.  It was still there when daylight ended and I could no  longer see it.
Just outside the French doors on the deck, I found a small  clump of junco
feathers.  Apparently, it had become a meal for one of  the Cooper's, an early
snack for the owl, or maybe just a morsel for  a "friendly" neighborhood cat.

Also, when I pulled my car into the carport downstairs, BOTH Carolina  wrens
popped out of the gourd in which they raised their young and started  giving a
real fuss about being disturbed.  I guess they are using that  gourd as a
warm roosting spot as they did last year.

This is a four sparrow morning with a fabulous white-crowned sparrow eating
away in the presence of my sweet little song sparrow, a pair of field sparrows
 and several white-throated sparrows.  Where, oh where, are my little
chippies that often winter here?  It would also be nice to see the fox  sparrow
that
appeared last year, but it only came when it snowed as I  recall.  The
mockingbirds,chickadees, titmice and @*&$%# starlings are  gorging on peanut
butter
"ice cream" this morning  The PB is quite frozen  in spite of the oil that it
contains, so it's really fun to watch the birds chip  away at it getting only
tiny "bites."  Two "bossy mocks" are up there now  successfully getting some
larger globs, but not as large as they usually  like.

Can anyone tell me WHY I have at least two SINGING robins?  Ever since  the
rather warm, spring-like rains we had several days ago, two of my robins  have
been singing as if they think it IS spring.  I would have  thought this
freezing weather would put a stop to that behavior, but they were  out there
singing
away early this morning just as they do during mating  season.  Do you
suppose the singing now translates into a call to the  "troops" telling them,
"It's
COLD, let's migrate," for the last several  days?

It's been a fine morning.  Now, I must replenish "Dee's Smorgabird"  and head
out to get a batch of errands done.  I almost hate to leave home  and miss
any birdy excitement that might occur.

Cheers, prayers & happy birding on a freezing day when I wish I could  have
taken the time to go on the Nashville TOS field trip instead of HAVING to  do
boring errands!

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN