[TN-Bird] Re: Evidence of a Barn Owl at Bells Bend Park (Davidson County)

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: bellsbend@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 10:46:34 -0500 (EST)

Hi Birders.

This bird may be a descendent of  the beautiful barn owl that used to  live
in an old barn at the bottom of a hill on a "farm" at the curve of  where
Annex Avenue  turns into Frisco in West Nashville above the rock  quarry
which is next to the Rock Harbor Marina across the Cumberland River from
Bell's
Bend.  Over twenty years ago, I lived atop the hill above said rock  quarry
and used to see the barn owl in trees in my back yard from my bathroom as
I got ready to go to work at daybreak,  It would come through there on its
way back from its nightly hunting and would seek cover in my thick  trees
when the crows harassed it.  One day, it even dropped a beautiful  feather
below one of the trees.  I saw the owl many times when it flew  in and/or out
of my trees after successfully evading the crows.  Of course,  I haven't kept
watch over there since I moved into a house near the old Cleece's  Ferry
Landing on the Cumberland just across from Bell's Bend in 1991.  It  seems
quite possible that the Bell's Bend barn owl is related to my "precious  old
pal."

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN
Davidson County