[TN-Bird] Eurasian collared dove + other sightings

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 11:02:33 EDT

Good Morning,

Here in the Charlotte Park area of West Nashville, I hostessed a gorgeous
Eurasian collared dove which fed for about 5 minutes at "Dee's  Smorgabird."
After I worked my way to a vantage point with my camera,  I managed to get off
one shot before the bird left.  Unfortunately, it was  a direct "face front"
shot, and I did not get its great "collar" marking in the  photo. I do wish it
would return and give me a "super shot" which might be  more definitive..

A Bossy Mockingbird is taking peanut butter across the street to the old
family nesting site, so I suspect that a mate is "sitting."

A small flock of goldfinches "invaded" my thistle feeder this morning, and  a
lone female is still gorging.  The ONE male was breath taking.   Suppose he
has a harem consisting of four females???

A pair of white-throats are still here to feed and add music to the  air.
Several towhees.are adding to the symphony of song, and house finches  are
adding their melodies from all directions.

Cardinals, robins, chickadees, titmice, cowbirds, mourning doves, Carolina
wrens, blue jays, grackles, house sparrows and, maybe, a few I forgot round out
 my feeder friends.

My hummingbird feeder is up and full,but I just don't seem to get any of
these jewels on their way back here in the spring.  They come to my  feeder in
late July when they start rambling around and begin heading  toward their
wintering grounds.  My only spot to place the feeder is  outside the kitchen
window
on the northeast side of the house hanging from the  rain gutter, so I guess
they miss it when they are northbound.  I have to  keep it in the only
available spot where I can fill it from my deck.  Can't  walk and carry sugar
water at
the same time to a spot off the deck!!!

As I am still rather weak from my illness, it is good to be able to sit at
the computer and have many birds just a few feet away.  I can watch them
through the French door at close proximity.

I do wish I could get away from home to bird more, but I am not  strong
enough to go very far from the car yet.  I STILL need those upland  sandpipers
at
Ensley for my life list!  Anyone know of any closer to  Nashville?   Maybe I'll
be up to getting them and those elusive  Lapland longspurs next fall, winter
or spring!

I THINK starlings (ugh) are feeding young in holes in the hackberry trees  in
the back yard.  The freeze-blackened trees appear to be putting out some
fresh growth, but my massive grape vine hasn't started to "come back" yet.

Blessings and happy birding,

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN

                  EXCELLENT MAP RESOURCES