[TN-Bird] Eurasian Wigeon - Benwood Lake Photos

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, ARBIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 22:00:06 -0400 (EDT)

Oct. 16, 2011
Benwood Lake
Crittenden Co, AR

When Mike first saw this bird we were about to leave; we had  found
everything seen the day before except Baird's Sandpiper. The Hudsonian was
still
there and the Avocet number had grown to 13. When we met this AM on Mud
Island in Memphis we had 14 Avocet sitting across the way on Dacus Bar in TN
plus a Black-bellied Plover.

At a distance, Mike picked up on this bird and thought it  might be a
hybrid but with better looks it turned out to be a 1st year molting  male. We
saw
all the ID points even the gray streaked underwing coverts and  axillaries
which were photographed and then seen by Kenny Nichols late this  evening.
This plumage is shown well in National Geo's Birds of North  America.

My photos are pretty poor but Mike should have some much  better. If
accepted this will be Arkansas' 1st record for this species. At dusk  more
ducks
started streaming in and Kenny and I both got on a dark duck in the  mix. The
pale yellow bill and clean pale throat all fit better for Mottled than
Black (which might be too early) so check out any dark ducks you  see.

_http://www.pbase.com/image/138905861_
(http://www.pbase.com/image/138905861)

Benwood has been exceptional these past few weeks!!

Jeff R.  Wilson / TLBA
6300 Memphis-Arlington Rd.
Bartlett, TN. 38135_http://WWW.pbase.com/ol_coot/_
(http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/)
What  is this feathered thing that lifts my heart to the  heavens.