[tn-bird] Ensley Run

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 23:10:55 EDT

Oct. 8, 2002
Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co. TN

Finally, I got back to Ensley late this afternoon. Found a good number of
nervous Wind Birds in tight scattered flocks and suspected a Peregrine
lurked. Still a few thousand shorebirds to glean through and of course the
great majority are Least Sandpipers. I did manage 10 species including:
Killdeer in low numbers, NO Black-necked Stilts (they were here for 7 months
and reproduced big time), 1 - Greater Yellowlegs, 84 - Lesser Yellowlegs, 2 -
Semipalmated Sandpipers molting to basic, which they normally wait to do on
the wintering grounds (getting late for these fellows), 5 - Western
Sandpipers almost full basic plumage and 4 were short billed males, oodels of
Least Sandpipers, few Pectorals with most slightly molted but one fresh
bright juvenile with not a worn feather, 2 near basic plumaged Dunlin with
one retaining juvenile tertials (the first since my early bird on 8/18 this
year, my earliest record is Aug. 14, a few sneak through very early, then the
rest come in on time), 54 Stilt Sandpiper (good numbers all season), 1-imm.
Wilson's Phalarope in basic plumage.

Four male Ringed-neck Ducks had ridden in on the front for the first migrants
of that species for me this season. Duck numbers were up with Wood, Gadwall,
Mallards, Blue and Green-winged Teal and Shoveler counted.

As I was driving toward the west, I was passed by a streaking dark Peregrine
flying at ground level. I knew where it was heading and I swung the truck
around just in time to see every Wind Birds nightmare disappear over the
levee. What happened next reminded me of a big guy doing a cannon ball in a
swimming pool. Birds splashed out in all directions like waves of water over
the sides. I assumed the Peregrine made a kill, for when I topped the levee
it was not to be seen. Wisps of Wind Birds raced willy-nilly about like wind
driven smoke. I now knew the reason for their nervous behavior.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA
Bartlett Tenn.