[TN-Bird] Ensley Extension

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 08:53:47 EDT

May 17, 2004
Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co. TN

I met Mike O'Malley from Clarksville, TN, down at the pits at 4 PM, to look
for a few TN Birds for his list and we quickly filled the bill with the
exception of the Baird's Sandpiper. As we drove past the TVA Steam Plant, Mike
spotted a Western Kingbird and we immediately saw it following another just as
an
attentive male will do in the early stages of nesting. He got a few nice shots
of the birds. From there we went to the Painted Bunting area and a male jumped
up off the side of the road and flew right in front of us for good but brief
looks. We saw the bird again briefly but the wind had the trees swaying.

We went to the pits and were greeted by masses of Semipalmated Sandpipers
swirling around all over the area. Something had them upset but what ever it
was,
it never showed itself to us. The wind had died and we spent the rest of the
time studying the Wind Birds, up close and in perfect afternoon light. The
roads had mostly dried out so we could look in all the nooks and crannies.

We found 20 Black-necked Stilt nests and saw many complete sets of eggs at
various nests were the couples were changing duty. Mike got some stunning shots
of these long-legged beauties with his Canon Digital as we were teated with a
few approaching us within just a few feet. Maybe he will share some with us.
They were quite a few of these birds that have not paired up yet, with a lot of
wrangling as to which preferred which with unending chasing and chatter.

We found 15 species of shorebirds with Baird's, Greater Yellowlegs and LB
Dowitcher eluding us but Mike spotted a sleeping Solitary Sandpiper for a
species
we did not have on Sunday.

With the perfect afternoon lighting, we had up close and crushing scope looks
at Killdeer with young, 7 Semipalmated Plovers standing together calling and
preening, Black-necked Stilts throwing nesting material over their shoulders
toward their nests and then reaching out as they brooded and tucking the
material under them. Lesser Yellowleg numbers were way down, we added another
Spotted Sandpiper to Sunday's number, making 3. Amazingly a different
Sanderling was
pacing the flats much farther along in molt than Sunday's bird. Semipalmated
Sandpiper numbers could only be estimated and they were continually changing
places in mass but I figured somewhere between 6 and 8 hundred, We had great
studies of a male Western Sandpiper (only one seen) that was still in basic
plumage as it preened and showed us its details while in a group of Semi's.

Least Sandpiper numbers were slightly down, White-rumped numbers were up,
Pectorals still numbered in low double figures with one exceptionally redheaded
and red faced individual. I run across these shinning examples of Pectoral
diversity from time to time and for a short moment my heart stops. With such
variety it is hard to believe there is but one race.

Dunlin figures remained at about 30 birds but all making me want to change
their names back to Red-backed Sandpiper. At first we had about 9 Stilt
Sandpipers scattered all in breeding plumage but very late with a grand flurry
26
birds dropped in right in front of us. They settled in quickly with some going
sleep and others to preening and within minutes were winging it off to the
North as programed. The Short-billed Dowitchers were exquisite eye candy all in
bright plumage but the 2 LB were not to be found as they were late in their
journey and had to catch up if they were to participate in any mating rituals
before all the good mates were had. The next few days could hold some nice
surprises in Shorebirds.

At 8 PM we folded our stools up and repaired to my favorite nearby Bar-B-Que
establishment to savor the food and talk about the sights we were privileged
to witness.

Life is the "Pits";o)

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA
Bartlett, TN

PS: In yesterday's post, I left off the list a single Black-bellied Plover
seen in Covington, Sunday, AM, the day's 18th species. I looked all over 3
counties Saturday, expecting Black-bellied and remembered a wet area that I had
seen a group of these birds in last year and was greeted by its mournful
whistle.
These shorebirds never cease to amaze me with their loyalty to particular
places at exact times.