[tn-bird] Ensley / Dacus Bar

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 23:51:14 EDT

Aug. 13, 2002

A quick trip to Ensley, mid-afternoon revealed an influx of birds which we
searched for until bleary eye, over the weekend. On my second stop the
closest bird to me was an adult Baird's Sandpiper which I was able to
photograph standing next to a Pectoral Sandpiper. A scan of the flats was
rewarded with lots of Lesser Yellowlegs and Stilt Sandpipers plus 6 mottled
Sanderling. An adult (evidently a female) molted Western was seen among the
throngs of Least and Semipalmated Sandpipers. Two Buff-breasted Sandpipers
were seen strutting through some thin vegetation.

I decided to check out the Dacus Bar area from Mud Island and there found 54
Black Terns, 3 Common Terns and a Forster's plying their trade among the many
Least Terns. There was also a Greater Yellowlegs, Least Sandpipers, Spotted,
Semipalmated Plover and Killdeer. The river continues to drop about 6" a day.

Two squall lines and a front will pass through in the next 24 hours so we
might get some more birds to shuffle through.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA
Bartlett Tenn.