[TN-Bird] Eagle Bend Fish Hatchery and Osprey at Concord Park

  • From: Dan Ellsworth <ellsy10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2013 20:24:26 -0600

Took the day off work today and started late morning at Eagle Bend Fish
Hatchery.  I was hoping there would be a small chance to see the Ross or Snow
Geese reported earlier in the week but there were none to be seen.  The birds
of note I did see are below:

2 Redheads - In the upper pond with a bunch of Mallards
9 Buffleheads - 5 male and 4 female in the first elevated pond on the right
when coming in the main entrance
68 Ring-billed Gulls
2 American Pipits
1 Eurasian Collared-Dove
1 American Kestrel
1 Kingfisher
20 Cedar Waxwings
8 Eastern Meadowlarks -  All in a loose group feeding in the grass, the most I
have ever seen together at one time

Later in the day I made a stop near my home at Concord Park.  I scanned several
areas of Ft. Loudon lake and did not see much besides Mallards and a few
Pied-billed Grebes.  However, I did get lucky at the Concord Park boat ramp and
spotted an Osprey over the small bay in front of the eastern facing dock.  The
water is low so I assumed incorrectly it would not have much luck hunting but
sure enough after a few minutes it caught about a six inch fish (most likely a
shad). I managed some  bad photos and attached one above.  Ospreys can be a
daily occurence here in warmer months but I have never seen one this late in
the year.  Has anyone else seen one in December?  I guess it does not need to
rush south if it can still find food this easily.

Dan Ellsworth
Farragut, TN