[tn-bird] EUCD, RBGU - Jeff Co

  • From: K Dean EDWARDS <kde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 09:27:06 -0400 (EDT)

Sunday (4 Aug 2002) I located and photographed a Eurasian
Collared-Dove in Jefferson Co., TN.  To my knowledge, this
is only the third report of this species in Jefferson Co.
and the fifth for the greater Knoxville area.

The bird was at a dairy farm along Hwy 11-E on the east
side of New Market, near the Appalachain Electric Co-op
office.  David Trently reported one at the same location
on 7 January 2001.  The first sighting for Jefferson Co.
(and the Knoxville area) was of a single bird on 13 October
1999 by myself about 5 miles from this location.

A few other interesting (and more welcome) sightings from
the area:

5-6 Ring-billed Gulls near Black Oak Boat Dock on Cherokee
Lake in Jefferson Co as seen from Cherokee Dam.  All were
young birds (2nd or 3rd year) and may have oversummered.

One Double-crested Cormorant at Cherokee Dam in Grainger Co.

The Hwy 92 bridge just downstream from Cherokee Dam is under
repair.  I'm not sure when they started this project but there
has always been a large Cliff Swallow colony under this bridge.
Hopefully they were able to breed this summer.  I'll check
next summer to see if they return.

At the ponds in New Market, Jefferson Co.:  several Killdeer,
one Solitary Sandpiper and one Least Sandpiper.  Also one or
two Bank Swallows (also photographed) and around 20 Wood Duck.

Broad-winged Hawk, 1 adult at a traditional site along
Ashville Hwy in eastern Knox Co.

Dean Edwards
Knoxville, TN
kde@xxxxxxx