[TN-Bird] Dunlin-High duck numbers / HUNDREDS of Redheads-Scott County, TN-

  • From: moorephotography@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 02:40:46 +0000 (UTC)

Because of all the Snowy Owl reports as close as Brevard, NC in recent days, I
decided to go "owl hunting" today as the inclement weather moved out. My
"target area" was Scott County Airport/ Farm fields area. No Snowy Owl, (though
I see no reason why one would not turn up here..) BUT, I had a fantastic day of
birding with probable Scott County (TN) records in high numbers and late date
Dunlin.
Is getting late and wanted to get this post out so I will enter total
numbers/species into Ebird database tomorrow.
Scott County is a greatly "underbirded" area with great habitat, ponds etc.
Birded the following areas:
Huntsville water plant (Huge deep pond) Highlights-
14 Red Breasted Merganser
2 DC Cormorants (1st here)
(12) Horned Grebes (1) Eared
13 Bufflehead - 72 Ruddy Ducks (probable high count for here)
Winter Wren/ Am. Kestrel
(Not a complete list- just highlights..) This is the type place anything could
turn up. Had a Golden Eagle here a few years back

On to the Scott County (TN) airport- fields adjacent (apx, 1,000 acres open
area)
Pretty much zilch- local expected birds.
Scanned area over hour /rooftops @ airport etc for Snowy Owl- No such luck

To Oneida Golf course/ pond - This area is EASY to scope,close to
lots of activity. Was shocked at high duck numbers!
Highlights- A WINTER PLUMAGE DUNLIN along the edge of lake in mud flat/ flooded
areas on golfcourse in with Killdeer.Got one bad photo enough for ID, just
before an adult BALD EAGLE flew in scattering everything!
197+ REDHEAD / 63 Ruddy / 2 HORNED GREBES-(possible first here) 199+ Ring-Neck
Duck (Was hard to count as they were all milling in and out together with
Ruddies and Redheads- but count very close) 23 Red Breasted Merganser/ 6
Bufflehead
1 Ring-Bill Gull/ 6 Pied B Grebe/ 155+ Coots over 100 Canada Geese .
With time running out 30 min before dark, Oneida City Park
was incredible! Scoped as fast as I could, but could not ID a couple ducks in
the far back corner with fading light.
300+Redhead 132 Ring Neck / 96 Ruddy Duck/ 119 Scaup-most likely all
Lesser-fading light/ 6 Bufflehead/
2 Eared Grebe/ 12 P B Grebe/ 18 Red Breasted Merganser
The highlight of the day was the Bald Eagle causing all the ducks to take
flight. Excellent photos!

Nell Moore
Caryville, TN

BROWN-HEADED NUTHATCH-