[TN-Bird] Duck River-Marbled Godwit

  • From: Cynthia Routledge <routledges@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tn Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 12:45:18 -0500

April 29
TN -NWR - Duck River Unit
Humphreys Co.

Cyndi and I just completed a 24-hour "Big Day Bird-a-thon" benefitting the
International Crane Foundation. A big, big "thank you" to all of you who helped
to support "Team Routledge" and ultimately the cranes of the world. It was a
great weekend for migration, not the least of which was seeing a MARBLED GODWIT
 on a small spit immediately to the left of the Great Blue Heron rookery that
sits on the Duck River just east of the refuge. That was a treat! Then,
immediately to the left of the Marbled Godwit, on the next island of any size,
were 13 Caspian Terns relaxing with a Forster's nestled in among them. The
waterfowl numbers are shrinking with only a few stragglers remaining, including
a Ring-necked Duck and a Lesser Scaup, though we were pleasantly surprised to
see 2 Red-breasted Mergansers all in the pool enclosed by the Blue Goose loop
road.

Among our 120 species were high numbers of prothonotary warblers. They were
visible everywhere and quite vocal. Still had good numbers of shorebirds,
especially in the far northeast corner of the refuge which is usually closed
during the winter months. Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs, Long-billed and
Short-billed Dowitchers, Semi-palmated Sandpipers, and Pectoral sandpipers were
prevalent. A few Blue-wing teal were also still around.

As always, it was a lot of fun.

Steve & Cyndi Routledge
Clarksville- Montgomery County