[TN-Bird] Duck River/Ky Lake on Easter

  • From: Terry Witt <terrywitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2012 16:36:48 -0700 (PDT)

Chad Smith and I visited first Duck River NWR this morning
Big disappointment to find the gate locked on the loop drive and all the best
shorebird areas not accessible, at least by vehicle
We had a scattering of common shorebirds which included one A Golden Plover
A small passerine flock had an Orange-crowned Warbler

At Ky Lake, higher water levels had reduced the mudflat areas
Nothing much at Pace Point, the Big Sandy mouth still had A White Pelicans
Things picked up at Britton Ford
The gull roost there held a single Laughing Gull with both Forster's, Caspian,
and Common Terns
In the field beside the gull roost, Chad flushed a single Upland Sandpiper,
much
appreciated
At Eagle Creek, a distant gull roost had several dark-hooded birds that looked
to be Laughing, and a number of terns
The island off Paris Landing was loaded with birds
Many were Herrings and Ringbills, but there were 4 different dark mantled birds
that all seemed to be Lesser Black-backed
There were a number of terns here as well
Another foot or two of lake elevation will eliminate much of the best habitat

We ended the day with an unplanned visit from a local gendarme who slowed our
jouney home, to cast a bit of a cloud over an otherwise fine day

Terry Witt
Murfreesboro Tn