[TN-Bird] Duck River Unit, TN NWR

  • From: Oeserscave@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 20:39:54 EST

Late Sunday, January 25, I finally made it to the Duck River Unit of the
Tennessee NWRefuge.  From the east side of New Johnsonville on US70, we
followed
the Refuge signs to the entrance.  Immediately in the flooded field on the
right we saw several Pintails, and just past this on the left, visible on a
closed
field, we saw about a dozen Greater White-Fronted Geese in company of many
Canada Geese.  We followed the main road, spotting Northern Shovelers, American
Wigeons, and other ducks, stopping and using my telescope for better views
with the 43X magnification.  A passing truck told us that there were some large
white birds at the end of the road with black wingtips, possibly cranes, so we
hurried down.  We first searched with binoculars, then barely saw the white
birds.  We set up the telescope and noted that there were about 30 White
Pelicans at the far end of the field on the right just before the turnaround.
The
noise from the many thousands of Mallards in the field was quite impressive.
A lack of daylight kept me from searching for Redheads or Canvasbacks that I
had hoped for also, so I'll have to return another day.
Ken Oeser
Hendersonville, TN