[TN-Bird] Directions to crane hunt meeting at TWRA, Nashville

  • From: JanKShaw@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 16:36:59 EST

DIRECTIONS AND CARPOOLING TO CRANE HUNT MEETING AT  TWRA

This Thursday, January 20th, the Wildlife Committee of the Tennessee
Wildlife Resources Commission (TWRC) will vote on their recommendation as to
whether or not Tennessee should initiate a hunting season on Sandhill Cranes in
 the winter of 2011/12.
The recommendation of the TWRC Wildlife Committee  is most likely to
determine the outcome of the full Commission vote on January  21st.

The Tennessee Ornithological Society (TOS)  does not support  making the
Sandhill Crane a game species and initiating a hunting season on this  bird in
Tennessee. TOS has taken the position that â??the fall arrival and
over-wintering of tens of thousands of Sandhill Cranes in Tennessee should be
celebrated as a wildlife spectacle and a Watchable Wildlife viewing
opportunity.â??

Please plan to attend the TWRC  Wildlife Committee meeting at TWRA at 1:00
PM in Nashville on Thursday,  January 20th at the Region II Ray Bell Office
Building, 5105 Edmondson Pike  37211 on the Ellington Ag Center campus. A
large number of crane hunt  supporters are expected and attendance at these
meetings has been very  influential in the past.  We really need to have a big
showing so they will  know we are serious about our position on this issue.

Directions: From I-65 south of downtown Nashville, take the  Harding Place
exit (78-A) and go east.  Just past the railroad  overpass, turn right
(south) at the light onto Trousdale Dr.  Stay on  Trousdale until you come to a
4-way stop at Hogan Rd.  Turn left onto Hogan  and continue to a "T"
intersection at Marchant Dr.  Instead of going  through the Ellington gates
here,
turn right onto Marchant and follow it through  the center to a 3-way stop.
Turn left and the Region II Office Bldg.  will be the first building on the
right, the one with the bright green  roof.

If you're coming from Edmondson Pk. on the east side of Ellington,  after
coming through the gates of Ellington and getting to the 3-way stop, go
straight, and the Region II office will be the first building on the  right.

If you'd rather meet and carpool to the meeting, I will be meeting  folks
at the west parking lot of Radnor Lake State Natural Area (1160 Otter  Creek
Rd. 37220) at 12:15.

I hope to see lots of people there.

Jan Shaw
Nashville, TN