[TN-Bird] Dir to Mossy Creek WVA

  • From: K Dean EDWARDS <kde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 11:29:53 -0400 (EDT)

I relized I didn't give any directions to Mossy Creek Wildlife
Viewing Area in my recent IMBD post and it's been a couple years
since I've led a field trip there.

So, for those who might wish to look for the rails and vireos,
here are the most clear (if not direct) directions I can
think of...

From I-40, take exit 417 to Hwy 92, go north on Hwy 92 for approx.
10 miles to Jefferson City where you will intersect with Hwy 11-E.
Turn left (west) on 11-E.  After approx 1-1/2 miles you will see
Jefferson Memorial Hospital on your left, turn RIGHT here onto
Old Andrew Johnson Hwy which goes back to the east.  Proceed to
the first traffic light in old downtown Jeff. City.  Turn left
and go down the hill.  Immediately after crossing the railroad
tracks, turn left on to (Cherokee?) Road (probably no street
sign anyway... if you cross the creek, you went to far).  After
about 1 mile you should see Mossy Creek WVA on your right.

There's a paved parking area and paved walking trail to an
observation tower.  The vireos were in the large hickory between
the trail and the road... the male was constantly singing while
we were there and the female would give fuss calls.  The rails
were heard in the cattails to the right of the observation tower.

Dean Edwards
Knoxville, TN