[TN-Bird] Crockett Co. swans not seen today, nor Little Gull in Lake county

  • From: oeserscave@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2011 21:48:58 -0500 (EST)

I spent the day heading west in search of swans and small gulls. Arriving in Crockett county at the swan field around 8am, only 3 Great Blue Herons were resting in the shallow water. I drove just down the road to Davy Crockett Lake, where many Canada Geese were swimming and honking. I walked over the dam to check the far side of the lake, but no swans on the lake. An immature Bald Eagle flew low over the geese searching for a coot or other snack, then landed in a tree on the point on the other side of the lake. I checked the swan field/water once more with no luck, then headed for Reelfoot Lake.

I first checked the boardwalk at Reelfoot State Park behind the visitor center, but after facing the cold wind for about 45 minutes with no Little Gull, I headed back for the car. Next I tried looking from the pier across from the Pit BBQ for a while, but the gulls had settled down and only a few Bonaparte's flew by. I then drove back north past the Park Headquarters and scanned the waters from a parking/construction area next to the lake for a few minutes, but still only saw Bonaparte's Gulls flying back and forth. Many Ruddy Ducks, some Scaup, Pied-Billed and Horned Grebes were seen in the lake. Giving up on the Little Gull, I drove north on Highway 78 to see what was around and look for Longspurs at a spot a little south of Phillippy. No longspurs, but I did see 2 Loggerhead Shrikes on powerlines between Tiptonville and Phillippy, some Red-Tailed Hawks, plenty of Horned Larks, and 2 Northern Harriers.

I checked for the swans in Crockett county again on the way home, and struck out again, both at the field location, Davy Crockett Lake, and the nearby Fish Hatchery ponds.

Oh well, on a positive note, I still have two birds to add to my state list, one a lifer, someday.

Ken Oeser
Hendersonville, TN

              Assistant Moderator Chris O'Bryan
                       Clemson, SC