[TN-Bird] Crockett Co Tundra Swans

  • From: Michael Todd <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2011 18:11:02 -0800 (PST)

12/6/2011
Crockett Co (Hwy 152 just west of Humboldt)

Thanks to the prompt post by Mark, I got to the swan location at about 11 or so
this morning, in a steady rain. The birds had moved much farther out than when
Mark had them. My impression was also Tundra, 3 adults, but looks were very bad
initially. Eventually the rain let up, and I was able to get a little closer,
but still several hundred yards away. The birds initially were swimming around
feeding, but then they hauled out on the edge of the water and took turns
sleeping and preening; hopefully they weren't preparing for more travel. I got
some nice looks thru the scope, and could see the ID features well, including a
very limited amount of yellow in the lores of at least 2 of the birds.

I've posted a couple of distant digiscopes, with a link to a map of the
location
(the location on the map is in the middle of a dry field, very different than
it
looks right now, water was over the road in one spot while I was there). The
first photo is here: http://www.pbase.com/mctodd/image/140163845/original

Spoke to Jeff briefly today, he was at Reelfoot and had seen the adult Little
Gull when we talked. I'm planning to go up there tomorrow.

Good Birding!!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN
birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx