[TN-Bird] Re: Cooper's Hawks Sightings?

  • From: "William Peeples" <wpeeples@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 08:14:33 -0500

I believe that in the last few years (since about Y2K), the Cooper's Hawks
have, for whatever reason, become much more numerous in our area than
before.
Their presence in summer has become essentially regular in west TN, with
numerous nesting records (I believe west TN's first confirmed nest was not
that long ago; maybe around 1999?).  And it seems to me that even in winter,
Cooper's now outnumber Sharp-shins, something which is the opposite of what
it was for the first 20 years of my birding.
Long ago, in the 1930's to about the 1960's, from looking at the Memphis
Christmas Count results, it appears that Cooper's outmnumbered Sharpies
then, too.
During the 70's and 80's Cooper's were relatively rare.
Rob Peeples
Germantown, TN