[TN-Bird] Cerulean Warblers at Cross Creeks National Wildlife Refuge

  • From: "Troy Ettel" <Troy.Ettel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 14:26:57 -0500

I am posting this for Robert Wheat at Tennessee National Wildlife Refuge:
John Robinson a former USFWS employee at Cross Creeks (author of "An
Annotated Checklist of the Birds of Tennessee") visited Cross Creeks NWR
with a group of birders on May 8, 2003.  He located at least 3 cerulean
warblers in Lee Hollow  on the north side of the refuge (see Cumberland
City Quadrangle if you have one).  The site is approximately 1.5 miles
southwest of Indian Mound, TN.  This spring a wind event (possible tornado)
opened up the forest at this site.  To our knowledge the ceruleans were not
there prior to the storm, but we cannot be sure.

Since the initial sighting a STEP student working at Cross Creeks has been
monitoring the site to determine if the birds were migrants or if they had
established territories in the area.  On June 4 he heard two to three males
singing at the edge of the blowdown area.  He will continue to monitor this
site and search other potential sites.  If anyone is interested in a look
for yourself let me know and I will make the needed arrangements.

Robert Wheat
Tennessee National Wildlife Refuge
3006 Dinkins Lane
Paris, TN 38242