[TN-Bird] Cattle Egret, Henslow's Sparrow, etc. (Washington Co., TN)

  • From: Don Miller <raincrow@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol-Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,Butternuts <butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,TN-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 17:02:23 -0400

Limestone, South Central, and Telford communities (Washington Co., TN)

This morning and early afternoon, Linda Northrop, Alice Loftin, and I
cruised backroads in southwestern Washington County in hopes of finding
the Henslow's Sparrow observed there last week and whatever else of
interest might be around.

The Henslow's Sparrow was still present in the magic mustard plant on
Keebler Road, though it disappeared abruptly at about 10:10 a.m. after a
brief rendition of song.  After lunch, as we were travelling through
Limestone, we found two Cattle Egrets on Corby Bridge Road 0.1 mile from
Old State Route 34.  Throughout the trip, we also encountered a wide
variety of summer residents and other species.  Highlights were:

Greater Yellowlegs (3);
Lesser Yellowlegs (7);
Solitary Sandpiper;
Red-tailed Hawk (partial albino along the Nolichuckey River at Snapp
Bridge);
Northern Bobwhite;
Horned Lark (on Keebler Road);
Cliff Swallow (at least a dozen on Bailey Bridge (Highway 353) in South
Central).

Don Miller
Greeneville, TN