[TN-Bird] Re: Carrion-feeding Redtail?

  • From: Rick Phillips <sunfish0501@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: David-Aborn@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 12:07:20 -0500

I once photographed a Red-shouldered Hawk eating canned cat food. This was
in an area at the end of a dead-end road where someone had been scattering
seed for the birds daily along the pavement. I suppose the feral cats were
attracted to all the birds, then some "kind soul" started feeding the cats
catfood every day as well. I had seen the hawk hunting this spot a number
of times so I decided to park my car nearby to use as a blind to try to get
some photos. While I was doing this the hawk flew down where a can of cat
food had been dumped and started eating it! I was so surprised I almost
forgot to take any pictures!

On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 11:56 AM, Aborn, David <David-Aborn@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Many hawks will eat carrion if the opportunity presents itself, so a
> red-tail feeding on road-kill is not unusual. I am even aware of one
> published note from the 1980's of an Osprey eating a road-kill squirrel!
>
> David Aborn
> Chattanooga, TN

Rick Phillips
Kingsport, Tennessee