[TN-Bird] Campus Causalities (RE: Lincoln's Sparrow)

  • From: Robert Biller <xyon42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 11:09:49 -0400

David,

I wonder how big a problem this is every year? I work at East Tennessee
State University in the evenings and have encountered the same issue of
window/building kills. This past spring, Fred Alsop and I were asked to look
at this "yellow" bird that was dead outside the Campus Center Building. It
was a beautiful Prothonotary Warbler that had been killed the night before.
Also, last Tuesday I found an injured Tennessee Warbler with what I would
guess was a broken wing. It was running/hopping only and not even attempting
to fly. I would assume it is now dead too. Fred told me that this happens
some every year. Wonder if there is something to be done to help this not to
happen as much? I suppose it would be too expensive though to even try...

Rob Biller
Elizabethton, TN