[tn-bird] COMMON RAVEN in CumberlandMt./Near Tackett Creek, TN

  • From: Jimi Moore <jimimoore@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 18:09:37 -0400

   A COMMON RAVEN  ("Not so common" in the Cumberland Mountains)  was
seen on 4-30- 02 in Claiborne County, TN at 1:30 in the afternoon while I
was leaving an area from doing  Golden-Winged Warbler surveys. The bird
was seen by myself and Ken Cutsinger(TWRA)  flying NE over a strip mine
near the area known as Tackett Creek adjacent to Cumberland Mountain. It
was apx. 15 -20 miles( "as the Raven flys") from
Bell County, KY line and SE of Middlesboro, KY. or Cumberland Gap NHPark
The lat/long. location was:
36. 32.03 N
83.49.95 W
   There are lots of rocky cliffs and ledges in the area. I did not note
the elevation, but  the elevation the bird flew towards and across  is
1900-2,000 ft.
I also saw a COMMON RAVEN fly across I75 N. of Caryville and near
Jellico, TN a few months ago. I researched my field notes and the date
for that sighting was 11-21-01 flying NE or apx. 15 miles from this
sighting.
   Quote -from "Atlas of the Breeding Birds of TN", by Charles Nicholson
states:
"The Common Raven probably disappeared from the Cumberlands by 1920."
-He also states that a Raven nest was  discovered in KY in 1984 and have
also been reported from the KY-VA portions of the Cumberland Gap National
Pk.
... and if this population expands, Ravens should repopulate nearby parts
of TN." Numerous cliffs and ledges, some probably suitable for nesting ,
occur on Pine Mountain as well as adjacent Clinch Mt. and ridges."
Quote.

Alan Trently- Come on over and "stumble across a nest" like the one you
posted today!

Nell Moore
Caryville, TN

Jimi and Nell Moore