[TN-Bird] Burgess Falls, Fairfield Glade, Kyker Bottoms, Ijams

  • From: John Cyrus <cyrus150@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 01:45:25 +0000

I am in the area from Minnesota visiting family and am squeezing in as much
birding as possible.  Yesterday, I stopped at Burgess Falls on the way to
Fairfield Glade.  Highlights at Burgess Falls included a Prothonotary Warbler,
several Northern Parula, 3 vireo species, a Great-crested Flycatcher, and a
Scarlet Tanager.

That evening in Fairfield Glade in Cumberland County  highlights were
Ruby-throated Hummingbird(male arrived early last week according to family),
Great Crested Flycatcher, Red-eyed Vireo, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Yellow-rumped
Warbler, and Yellow-throated Warbler.

This morning immediately after the storms highlights were Red-eyed Vireo,
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Hooded Warbler, and Yellow-throated Warbler

Later this morning from the gated road(along Big Gully Rd.) at Kyker Bottoms in
Blount County,  I lucked out to have the Little Blue Heron fly in relatively
low and land in a marshy area.    Also in this area along the dirt track were
at least 6 Blue Grosbeaks.   Of these 3 were male, 2 were female, and 1 was
heard only.  2 of the male were constantly following the 2 female while the
other bird, a male, was near the heard only bird.  Other highlights along the
dirt track were Great Crested Flycatcher, Red-eyed Vireo,  Common Yellowthroat,
Northern Parula, several Yellow-breasted Chat, White-throated Sparrow,
White-crowned Sparrow, and many Indigo Buntings.

At Ijams Nature Center in Knox County highlights were White-eyed Vireo,
Red-eyed Vireo, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Northern Parula, Yellow Warbler,
Black-throated Green Warbler, White-throated Sparrow, and Scarlet Tanager.