[TN-Bird] Brewer's Blackbird, Greater Scaup, etc. (Greene Co., TN)

  • From: Don Miller <raincrow@xxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 21:47:35 -0500

western Greene County, TN (Wal-Mart Distribution Center, Green Road,
Sapp Road, and nearby areas)

Various members of the Greeneville Chapter met this afternoon for a
swing through western Greene County in hopes of finding lingering winter
residents, early arrival summer residents, and whatever transients might
be passing through the area.  The group was not disappointed.

After a visit to the first two ponds at Wal-Mart, we worked our way west
via a stop at Green Road.  Our westernmost point was on Fish Hatchery
Road (Highway 340) near Turner Lane, from which we travelled to Sapp
Road and then back to Greeneville.  The sky was mostly overcast, but
there was no precipitation.  Temperatures ranged from chilly to
downright cold, with frequent light gusts of wind--insufficient to drive
the birds under cover but plenty strong enough to make birders aware
that spring hasn't won its annual fight yet.  Highlights of the day
were:

Snow Goose (a white phase bird still present on Green Road, having
arrived in late fall or early winter);
Gadwall (12, WMDC);
Green-winged Teal (4, Sapp Road);
American Wigeon (5, Sapp Road);
Blue-winged Teal (39--33 Sapp Road, 6 WMDC);
Greater Scaup (female, WMDC--first record for that location);
Bufflehead (3, Green Road);
Hooded Merganser (2, WMDC);
Wood Duck (4);
Northern Harrier (6);
Cooper's Hawk;
American Coot (5, WMDC);
Wilson's Snipe (7, Jim Kirk Road);
Greater Yellowlegs (10, Sapp Road);
Red-headed Woodpecker (2, Green Road);
Purple Martin (4);
Tree Swallow (8);
Northern Rough-winged Swallow (WMDC);
Barn Swallow (WMDC);
Savannah Sparrow (3, Sapp Road);
Swamp Sparrow (Sapp Road);
White-crowned Sparrow (25, Sapp Road);
Brewer's Blackbird (4 males and 2 females, Highway 340 0.1 mile west of
Turner Lane);
Rusty Blackbird (13--10 Bible's Chapel Road, 3 Sapp Road).

Present for all or part of the afternoon were: Millie Anderson, Don
Holt, Jim Holt, Ron Lapp, Rose Lapp, Alice Loftin, Don Miller, Richard
Nevius, Willie Ruth Nevius, Ruth Rinker, Virginia Williams.

Don Miller
Greeneville, TN