[TN-Bird] Bluebird EXCITEMENT! + peregrine+yellow-bwllied sapsucker

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 14:08:33 EST

Merry Christmas & happy holidays, TN-birders,

In a 15 minute period of time I had two great species show up in my yard
again here in Charlotte Park, West Nashville, Davidson County, a few blocks
east
of the Cumberland River across from Bell's Bend.

First, a peregrine falcon began to descend like a speeding bullet from just
over my yard to a destination in a neighbor's yard about 2 1/1 football field
lengths away where it disappeared behind the tree line.  I never saw it  come
back up.  It probably continued out of the yard going the other way  with or
without its "meal."  I see peregrines around here reasonably  frequently.
They do check out my "Smorgabird" every so often.

As I sat down for lunch, I looked outside to see a male bluebird fly onto a
low branch in a backyard hackberry tree.  Before I could grab my camera, it
disappeared.  A few moments later, it appeared back on the same branch, and  I
got him on digital.  It flew to the south side of the yard where it  joined at
least four more bluebirds.  They began to check out one of the  woodpecker
holes in my dead ash tree flitting around, perching, looking inside,  and,
incidentally, posing for a few photos in the process.  This is only  the SECOND
time I've seen a bluebird in my yard.  The first was a female  earlier this
year.
 Soon, a third nice bird, a male yellow-bellied  sapsucker lit just below the
hole the bluebirds were checking.  It left  shortly for a live tree, and the
bluebirds continued their survey.  They  are all gone now, and two starlings
are perched on the top of the dead  tree.  Ugh!  %*#@& starlings!!!!!!  I sure
do hope/wish the  bluebirds return.  It was wonderful while it lasted.

At least one of my male cardinals is still acting like a peanut butter
addict.

Whoops!  Now, there went one of the Cooper's hawks flying high over  the
deck!  What a grand day---just birding from my dining room.  What  more could
an
old birdwatcher ask?

Happy birding!

Dee Thompson