[TN-Bird] Black BAyou area birding

  • From: "Nancy Moore" <jaybird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-BIRD" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 16:48:07 -0500

Birded for a few hours Sunday morning.  Good to see some shorebird activity.  I
had 6 species at the Phillipy pits area in Northern Lake Co. Tn. Not a lot of
birds yet.  There were 20 Black necked stilts that I counted.   I had Dowitcher
sp.,  Solitary Sandpiper,  Least Sp.  30+ Lessor Yellow legs,4-pectoral Sp.,
The Black Bayou  refuge is coming alive with the Herons and Egrets, post
nesting.  I frequently see Imm. Yellow-crowned Night HErons, Little Blue
Herons, Green Herons are plentiful, Great Egrets, some Snowy Egrets, and Great
Blues.  There is a Barred Owl that likes to sit in the road down  near  the
curve by the pump house.  Hope we continue to have some good habitat for the
returning shore birds.  Habitat behind the pump house off of the levee is good
but only found 2 least SP there.  There are Wood ducks, Mallards and Hooded
MErganzer along with the Egrets and Herons.               Nancy Moore
Bluebasin Cove B&B
Reelfoot lake
Lake Co, Tn