[TN-Bird] Big Storm = Big Birds

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2004 20:43:53 EDT

July 4, 2004
Shelby-Tipton-Lauderdale Co. TN

This morning, I worked my way north from Eagle Lake on the back roads in
Tipton and Lauderdale Co and was not having much luck except for large numbers
of
Mississippi Kites including some young of the year, 2 Broad-winged Hawks and
the usual scattered Red-tailed Hawks. A huge and bad looking storm front moved
through just afternoon, so I started working the wet areas where the
Mississippi River had just relinquished its hold looking for put downs.

In a rice field in Lauderdale Co, I found 52 Black-necked Stilts, the flock
was just milling around together and not feeding. The number of males far
outnumbered the females and there was none of the normal bickering which I
think
means the birds were migrating south and were just put down by the storm. In
with them were 2 Greater Yellowlegs and 9 Lesser Yellowlegs. The Black-necks
either gave up on nests that were destroyed or never paired, they may have been
inexperienced 1st summer birds. I'll check the area again tomorrow but I'll bet
they will be gone.

After finding these birds, I decided to head south myself to the pits and see
what the front deposited there. I was not disappointed as a distant large
bird turned itself into a molting adult Willet. I took a few photos and
searched
for more storm birds and found 4 Lesser Yellowlegs but only 1 Least Sandpiper.
I'm not sure if the Willet was put down by the storm but it probably will
keep traveling as it slept, kept looking up and even called a few times, all
signs of a traveler. The bird looked pretty tired in the photos.

On the Mississippi River out from Morris Road in Lauderdale Co. I had 53
White Pelicans. I saw nothing else of note on the way south.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA
Bartlett, TN