[tn-bird] Big Rain = Big Shorebirds

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 21:21:52 EDT

Aug. 16, 2002
Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co. TN

All day today, I told myself I was not going to the pits until Saturday. This
afternoon another huge rain storm came in from the south and I could not
resist. My old rule kept bouncing around in my head, "Big Rain means Big
Shorebirds". Big storms will put large shorebirds that generally overfly us
down on the ground. I left the payroll for the men and started for the pits
in a driving rain at 4 PM and it paid off again.

At TVA Lake, I scanned through the rain and saw a few Lesser Yellowlegs and
three large birds feeding that turned into Greater Yellowlegs and farther
back 2 even bigger birds were sleeping with their heads tucked. They had to
be either Long-billed Curlew or Marbled Godwit. Well, my luck wasn't that
good as when one bird looked up and flicked the water from its bill I saw I
had 2 Godwits. I'll take them anytime. I took some shots through the rain but
they just show large birds with heads tucked and nothing more. It was raining
cats and dogs so I decided to find a place where I could scan from without
drowning at the lagoons and eased through the mud up on one of the graveled
roads.

Out on the flats were 8 Black-bellied Plovers and scanning around I found 2
more each off to itself. That was twice the number we had had yesterday. The
rain slowly eased and from another view point I saw another large chunky bird
sleeping. When it stretched I could make out it was a Willet, another species
we did not have on Thursday. A couple of Sanderling and one Baird's sauntered
into view and I located the Western Sandpipers from the day before. When I
started to look for the Wilson's Phalaropes I was startled to find there were
now 7 of these nit picking machines.

At 6 PM the sun came out and birds started to filter back into the flats. The
birds tend to move to grassy fields, gravel roads or dryer areas in a hard
rain rather than get splattered with muck. A single Black Tern came in to
preen and other birds started to talk about leaving. Two large groups of
Pectorals left with some sweet calling Semipalmated Plovers in tow. Before I
left the Willet had started to half heartedly peck around and far off I heard
a Marbled Godwit call. As my Dad would have said "it was a damp fine day" at
the pits.

I could not find the Ruddy Turnstone but traded off with a molting
Golden-Plover for an even 20 species of WIND BIRDS and proof again that Big
Rain = Big Shorebirds.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA