[TN-Bird] Re: Bank Swallows? Where?

  • From: kde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: shaawitya@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 10:52:33 -0400 (EDT)

There are two or three traditional colonies in east Knox Co and northern
Jefferson Co in mine tailings at zinc mines.  The actual colonies are on
mine property so there's no public access but the birds forage in the
surrounding areas and can usually be found with little trouble.

The colony in Mascot (east Knox Co) has been declining in recent years.
The mine is no longer active.  Best viewing is from East Bridge Industrial
Park on Mascot Rd and from a pullover at the entrance to the old mine site
on Mine Rd.  In the past, I've seen well over 200 Bank Swallows at East
Bridge in late summer.  In recent years, I've only had a handful and N
Rough-winged Swallows seem to be taking over the colony.  The birds may
have moved to the newer mine site on Mascot Rd.

The other two colonies are in New Market (Jefferson Co) off of Hwy 11-E.
The first is at the ASARCO zinc mine just off Hwy 11-E between Eslinger
and Whitaker Rds.  Again, no access to the colony itself but there is
excellent birding along Old Andrew Johnson Hwy between Eslinger and
Whitaker Rds.  Currently this is a combination of mine property with
settling ponds and private farmland.  Lost Creek passes through here and
often floods the area.  This used to be my 'local patch' that I covered
daily.  The whole area is now under threat of becoming an intermodal
railway station.  Very sad.  The locals are usually friendly (unless you
are from the railroad) so if approached, tell them you are looking for
birds... they may point you toward something good.

If you drive this area slowly, pulling over where possible, you will
easily find Bank Swallows foraging as well as all the other swallow
species (though Cliff is rare).  Check the ponds for shorebirds and herons
and ducks in winter.  At one point, I had recorded as many shorebird
species here as I had at Rankin Bottoms including Am Avocet, Wilson's
Phalarope, all the peeps including Baird's and White-rumped, both
dowitchers, all the plovers except Piping, and all the other regular
species.  Check the fields and fences for shrike, Dickcissel, Grasshopper
Sparrows, and Cattle Egrets.

The areas around Whitaker to the south of 11-E can also be good with more
farm ponds (particularly the ones near Valley View Cemetary) and a large
beaver pond at a former hunt club.

The other colony is one I haven't checked in many years.  It is south of
Lost Creek Golf Course in New Market.  The birds would often forage around
the golf course.

Good luck.

Dean Edwards
Knoxville, TN

On Wed, 11 Apr 2012, shaawitya@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Does anyone know of an active Bank Swallow colony in east Tennessee?
>

> Keith Watson
> Pittman Center, TN

               Assistant Moderator Chris O'Bryan
                        Clemson, SC